Our In Box

 New Hope Agency application for International Adoption

 DSHS Application for Adoption Services

 Tax returns

 Photos (us, our home, friends, family)
 Application letter to the CCAA
 Autobiographies from each of us, parenting, marriage, and infertility questionnaires
 Home study
 Letters of reference from three friends and three family members
 Letters of employment
 Letters of good health; physicals from doctors
 Police criminal background check
 Child abuse background check
 Birth certificates
 Marriage certificates
 Financial statement form
 Letter of guardianship
 Adoption training seminar certificate
The Paper Chase

Adopting a foreign-born child and bringing her into the United States requires lots of patience and good organization skills.

<<Here's a list of some of the documents we've had to collect in the paper chase. This may differ from other people's lists–it only covers what we've had to gather for our agency and our state officials.

All of these had to be notarized and then authenticated at the secretary of state's office and then authenticated again at the Chinese Consulate office in Seattle.

We also have to work with the USCIS (United States Citizenship & Immigration Service), formerly known as the Immigration and Naturalization Service, for their approval to bring a foreign-born child into the U.S (I600-A form); this includes fingerprinting and an FBI background check.

Currently, there is a six-month turn-around for referrals from
CCAA. That means that if our dossier goes out in March we should get a referral in September of 2005 and hopefully travel in October or November of 2005 (the CCAA allows travel 4-6 weeks after the referral).

See our
timeline for a detailed listing of what we did and how we did it in the paper chase.

©2005 Paul H. Goethel & Jeanne M. Juneau